Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Happy Birthday Guys!

The first photographer to come to my mind is always, Ansel Adams!
Ansel Easton Adams
(February 20, 1902 – April 22, 1984)
His shot below always appeals to my love of the southwest.
Church, Taos Pueblo, New Mexico, 1942
***
My favorite Adams quotes:
"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop"

"To photograph truthfully and effectively is to see beneath the surfaces and record the qualities of nature and humanity which live or are latent in all things."

"You don't take a photograph, you make it."
***
I naturally think of Adams' work being landscapes,
but he captured much more, even dabbled in color...
Close-up of leaves, from directly above, "In Glacier National Park," Montana;
From the series Ansel Adams Photographs of National Parks and Monuments, compiled 1941 - 1942, documenting the period ca. 1933 - 1942.
"Navajo Woman and Infant, Canyon de Chelle, Arizona (40's?)"
***
If you want to learn more about Adams,
 here is a link to a great article on Flickr
titled "10 Interesting Things I Learned About Ansel Adams"
and to see an archive of his work go here.
Today is Ansel Adams' birthday...
He is my Hubineer's favorite photographer (well, besides me)
and by the way, my Hubineer shares his birthday...
(Taken summer's end, on our quest to find
"Mr. Ed's" resting place - you know the talking horse?)
Happy Birthday my love!
Happy Click'n!

4 comments:

  1. i loved mr Ed and happy birthday to your hubbeneer.
    ansel is my most favorite of all photographers and artist because he was a true artist. all the things we do in photoshop he did in a dark room. i went to the Ringling Museum for one of his shows..we were not allowed to take photos. phooey. they had his photos in wall sized like 8x10 feet they were magnificent. my son and I sat on benches and stared and stared. at the same show they had Clyde Buthcher, he is the Florida Ansel and does for the swamps what Ansel did for the west. google him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice piece on Ansel but your photo of Mr. Ed's resting place intrigued me. In my research for my upcoming road trip (see today's post) I came across Mr. Ed's final resting place but reports said it was hard to find or "no longer there". Plus now I can't recall what state it was. Oklahoma? Arkansas? Might reconsider this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Sindad's daddy! About Mr Ed. We found the grave marker laying on the ground last summer. It was not too hard to find. The house is being remodeled or under repair. There are rumors that this was the stand in horse however the story is horse trainer Clarence Tharp purchased Mister Ed at auction in Ca. Tharp retired to Tahlequah OK with Mr Ed entertaining local children with his tricks. I remember reading about Mr Ed's death in 1979 in one of our local papers. Whether or not this is the actual horse, who knows without further investigation. I was reminded of this story in a book called "Weird Oklahoma" by Wesley Treat (other states have books like this too). Anyway, it was a fun afternoon hunting for it. If you decide to hunt for Mr Ed stop by Sam and Ella's Chicken House (restaurant) which has out of the world pizza located in the city of Tahlequah near the university.

      Have a wonderful adventure and post often! Millie

      Delete
  3. Admit, that I did not know him before or his work. Yet saw a bit of Mr. Ed. Like the quote about the amount of important pictures per year, which certainly is true. Please have a good Thursday you all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!

Thank you for your understanding!

© Emily J Powell and Millie @ Click'n Camera, February 10, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Emily J Powell and Millie @Click'n Camera with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Photos may not be used, copied, printed without prior permission.