Friday, May 10, 2013

A Personal Photo Challenge ~ Flowers

Flowers,
a popular subject to photograph...
My camera is a Canon EOS 60D.
For these shots I used my Canon Macro 100mm lens
and used Adobe Elements 11 for post-processing.
These macros were taken in Auto mode but
I'm trying to get the hang of my manual settings
...mentioning that, somehow makes me feel better about my camera skills.
If you are interested in joining "A Personal Photo Challenge", a link to Donna's
 blog is at the end of this post. 
Thank you to Donna for hosting this great challenge!
A Personal Photo Challenge
Personal reminders and solutions when shooting flowers~
1)  Break out of your typical shooting style and try a different perspective.
2)  A tripod is always helpful for close-up shots, but switch off any automatic vibration reduction feature on your camera or lens when using a tripod.
3)  Schedule your photo shoot on a day when the winds are calm or else block the wind so the flowers don’t move.
4)  Problem shooting yellow flowers or maybe any bold bright color, try the following:


Digital SLR cameras allow photographers to manually change the default color saturation of images. Setting the color saturation to a higher number will result in awesome vivid colors. Follow these steps to change the color saturation on a Canon DSLR camera.
  • Press the 'Menu' button on the back of your camera, then scroll through to one called 'Picture Style'. You'll notice 6 default picture styles (Landscape, Neutral, Portrait etc) and 3 User Defined.
  • With a style selected, press the 'INFO' button. From there you can UP the Saturation level. 
5) Cloudy days are great for shooting flowers. So are afternoons and mornings. 

Ron Bigelow on How to photograph flowers ~ Part I and Part II.


I hope you will join us for these monthly challenges,
you're invited to hop over to the other participant''s
blogs to see more photos (here).
Comments are always welcome! 
Happy Click'n!!

12 comments:

  1. These are terrific, Millie! And you included one that provides a different perspective - the second one! I think that is my favorite out of the group. The dreamy depth of field on that one knocks me over.

    Thank you so much for providing such helpful information too, including links! I think a lot of us gal photographers adore having flowers as our subjects, so we get excited when we learn how to better capture them and create a positive mood.

    I shoot in the RAW format, so I don't fiddle with any in-camera controls like saturation. I leave all of that to the post-processing part of my work. If I need to make a particular color "pop" a little more, I increase the saturation and/or vibrance for that color channel(s) and then selectively apply the change with a layer mask. You might want to give that technique a try sometime in PSE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous photos. The yellow is such a cheery color and the bit of yellow showing in the white tulips is beautiful! I'm learning so much from real photographers! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you photographed the front and back of the yellow flower; they are beautiful from all sides, aren't they?
    Your header of the clematis is stunning, I keep going back to look at it.
    Purchasing a macro lens was well worth the money, look how close we can get to our flowers!
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty and the second photo is so marvelously crisp and clear. I feel as if I could reach out and pluck that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these shots! And thank you for the little tutorial!! I wish I was more techie...When people leave tips like this, it helps us newbies SO much!
    Enjoy your day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flower shots are lovely! I'm your newest follower and fellow shutterbug! Happy clickin' to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW I loved your second photo - so very crisp and clear. Thank you for all the info on your camera settings too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glorious!!!!

    I'm sorry to be late but my satellite internet was acting ugly yesterday and wouldn't let me on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such pretty flowers indeed!
    I hope you had a wonderful weekend.
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Millie
    Your header image is inspiring!
    All three flower photos are beautiful but I have to say your second photo is outstanding.
    The sepals are not usually seen because we all tend to shoot flowers from the front.
    The clarity of the tiny hairs on the stem just takes my breath away!
    You are doing justice to your wonderful camera Millie.
    Shane ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!

Thank you for your understanding!

© Emily J Powell and Millie @ Click'n Camera, February 10, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Emily J Powell and Millie @Click'n Camera with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Photos may not be used, copied, printed without prior permission.