Friday, May 3, 2013

Sports Shot Tips

30 years ago,
I was asked to take action shots for a friend's
soccer team.
 Worst pictures ever!
Now I have time to research
and experiment, and I'm happier about my sport shot results.
 Sometimes the fence still gets in my way, as you see below...
Rats!
Somehow I married into a sports crazed family.
They eat, sleep and live for sports...
me, not so much. But,
I love catching the action in photos
and I love my sports nuts.
I get giddy when I capture feet off the ground,
the smash of bodies,
and balls in flight!!!
***
Taking Great Action Shots (Copied from Internet for personal reminder.)
Freeze the action: Even in bright daylight, you might want to increase the camera's ISO setting in order to get a very high shutter speed, which will help you to freeze a fast-moving subject.  What's a fast shutter speed? If you're at a car race, an air show, or a sporting event with lots of fast action, then I recommend 1/1000 second or faster. (Many digital cameras can reach 1/8000 second.) In fact, no shutter speed is too fast if it allows you to get a shot that you wouldn't be able to get otherwise. 
Get some blur: To blur the background, try setting a shutter speed of 1/15 or 1/30 second, then follow the action by pivoting your body to track the subject. Press the shutter release and keep moving. With practice, the subject will freeze and the background will be a smooth, dramatic blur.

For more in depth research here.
***
The problem with winter sports is that 
- follow me closely here  -
they generally take place in winter".
~ Dave Barry
***
Happy Click'n!

2 comments:

  1. i feel the same giddy when I get our dogs actions shots with feet off the ground, these are great action shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shots look good to me!
    Have a happy week friend!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!

Thank you for your understanding!

© Emily J Powell and Millie @ Click'n Camera, February 10, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Emily J Powell and Millie @Click'n Camera with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Photos may not be used, copied, printed without prior permission.