Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Personal Photo Challenge - Composition Variations

For this month's challenge, Donna inspires us with these words ~
"The goal is to think outside the box 
and portray the subject matter differently than your first “click.” 
When you compel yourself to look at a subject from different perspectives,
 don’t be surprised if your creativity goes up!"

I was a little blocked when thinking of a subject for the June theme.
Until my light bulb moment ~ Our 20th Wedding Anniversary was approaching,
so I locked in on our wedding rings for my subject...
first I used our keepsake anouncement as the background
 (shooting from above),
and then I moved in a little closer for this shot.
I'm a sucker for macros!
I positioned my camera from a slightly different angle (front)
showing more DOF.
Changing my background to a shiny black tile,
I positioned our rings,
and rearranged them for a few more shots.
OK, maybe I got a little carried away...
This was a wonderful exercise to stretch us creatively!

My camera is a Canon EOS 60D set on AF
and I used my trusty tripod.
For these shots I used my Canon Macro 100 mm f2.8L IS USM lens,
natural light,
and I used Adobe Elements 11 for post-processing.

If you are interested in joining "A Personal Photo Challenge", 
a link to Donna's blog is at the end of this post. 
Thank you Donna for hosting this great challenge!
A Personal Photo Challenge
My personal reminders and solutions when applying "Composition Variations" ~
(My notes below are taken from Donna's provided links.)

*  It’s good to remind yourself that being a little more mobile and altering your shooting perspective can add a lot to an image.
1)  In many cases a shot taken from or just below the eye level of your subject is ideal and creates a more intimate shot. Looking down on someone looking up at you can be powerful – and looking up from the ground at someone can dramatically alter the look and feel of the shot also.
2)  Shooting from a distance can show your subject in their environment – while shooting up close and tightly framing your shot can help to isolate them from a distracting background.
3)  A side view (portrait) or even shooting from behind can create some interesting shots.
*  "Work the shot" or "Doing the dance"  ~  Looking for the sweet spot. With practice, you will begin to find it faster. (Work it, work it...)
*  The art of seeing: Frank Hoy's principle EDFAT – EntireDetailsFrameAngles, and Time, a method that allows you to fine-tune your photographic seeing, here. (Applicable to both portrait and landscape photography.)

I hope you will join us for these monthly challenges,
you're invited to hop over to the other participant's
blogs to see more photos (here).
Comments are always welcome! 
Happy Click'n!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I guess if I ever need someone to pitch hit for me in running the photo challenge blog then you can fill in without missing a beat! These are positively right on the mark for demonstrating the whole concept of working the shot and conveying the message of the subject. Great depth of field control and staging setups. You really took this challenge to heart!

    And thank you so much for sharing your personal reminders at the end. (Did you use to be a teacher, LOL?) It's the perfect closing for the other participants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Millie, your photos are wonderful for this photo challenge. You got some great macro shots and angles. I decided to check back to see if anyone else had linked up and here you were. Happy 20th Anniversary!! Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your rings on the black tile the best, I think it's the reflection that makes the photo unique.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!

Thank you for your understanding!

© Emily J Powell and Millie @ Click'n Camera, February 10, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Emily J Powell and Millie @Click'n Camera with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Photos may not be used, copied, printed without prior permission.