Friday, July 12, 2013

A Personal Photo Challenge ~ "Birds"

This month's challenge  ~ "Birds" ~
is the subject for "A Personal Photo Challenge" (here).
(Taken from behind the storm door,
with my Kodak EasyShare Z812 IS.)
It seemed nature was with me and against me for this challenge.
My "dumb" dovey built her nest and laid two eggs,
in a flower planter on our front porch,
(iPhone proof there were eggs.)
then she and her eggs mysteriously disappeared one night.
(No kidding! All that's left was a nest and the flowers.
No evidence of a struggle...
 I'm hoping they had to go into witness protection!)
This made my job a little harder to
meet this month's challenge in the way I would have liked...
photographing birds takes a lot of patience, planning, time and skill,
that I don't seem to have.
(Martins finally moved into our house this year...after four years.
Randomly taken with my iPhone.)

Last January I ran across our neighborhood hawk,
and took a couple shots I was really happy to take.  Post here.
My gear, if not otherwise stated ~ 
camera is a Canon EOS 60D set on AF,
a EOS 18-135mm lens
and I use Adobe Elements 11 for processing.
***
If you are interested in joining "A Personal Photo Challenge", 
a link to Donna's blog is at the beginning of this post. 
Thank you Donna for hosting this great challenge!
A Personal Photo Challenge
I hope you will join us for these monthly challenges,
you're invited to hop over to the other participant's
blogs to see more photos.
Comments are always welcome! 
***
You might be interested in SutterBug's How to Guide 2013,
now on newsstands, where you can read an interview
with Joe Campanellie. Mr Campanellie is known 
for his portrait and wedding photography,
 but also has a passion for photographing eagles and birds
 which is discussed in the article.
A quote by him expresses why, I too, enjoy getting outside and taking photos:
"It's a time to decompress and get a whole new perspective on life."
Some of his work can be seen here.

Closing with a laugh...
SORRY, NO LONGER AVAILABLE
(Moonwalking bird from YouTube.com.)
This challenge did make me more aware of birds in our neighborhood,
and when the weather cools off I plan to spend time photographing them!
Happy Click'n!!

12 comments:

  1. Photographing birds is truly a lesson in patience! I really like the pose you got of the dove, with her head tilted. And I had to chuckle with your rationalization that the missing momma and eggs went into a witness protection program. Maybe she was very camera shy and decided she wanted more privacy over the next few weeks!

    Thank you for the additional bird photography information! And I'm glad that this exercise sparked your interest in being more observant of our feathered friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I just watched the video and it is hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet little dumb bunny dove... they are so beautiful, but they are not the smartest of birds for sure....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are wonderful. We actually had a dove run into our window this morning. We've had finches do that but this was the first dove. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doves are so docile, aren't they? I imagine something took her eggs and she didn't come back although I have seen them use the same nesting site over and over.
    I'd seen that video before and it is funny, others are sure to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll try to think happy thoughts for you dumb little dovey. She's so pretty and that photo captured her in a moment with her head cocked just so...very coy. And oh that video clip! Too funny! My husband and I have very much enjoyed seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a dove that tried over and over to lay her eggs on a couple of twigs on the lattice above the deck. The eggs would always go through and crack on the floor of the deck. Little dumb dove! Your picture of her is sweet, the video made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely shot of your mourning dove. We have them here too - for years I thought it was an owl hooting. But I figured it out finally :)

    I've never seen their nests but they like to eat the seeds on the ground below our feeders. They make a good clean-up crew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent photos and the video gave me a good chuckle - thank you :)

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your dove shot! They can be dumb, but so sweet! The video was good for a chuckle - thanks!! Had a look at Campanellie's work- WOW! Something to strive for! His eagle shots are amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos. We are bird watchers too and the camera is always ready to click. Visiting from a Personal Photo challenge

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can watch birds all day! They are so lovely! I love the sound of the doves in the morning.
    Hope you are having a happy July!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!

Thank you for your understanding!

© Emily J Powell and Millie @ Click'n Camera, February 10, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Emily J Powell and Millie @Click'n Camera with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Photos may not be used, copied, printed without prior permission.