Monday, September 16, 2013

A Personal Photo Challenge ~ "Windows and Doors"

This month's challenge  ~ "Windows and Doors" ~
is the subject for "A Personal Photo Challenge" (here).
(Located in Santa Fe, NM ~
215 E. De Vargas St.Lower Old Santa Fe TrailDowntown.
 Billed as the oldest house in the United States;
800-year old Adobe house.)

While on hiatus, I took these photos,
vaguely remembering that this meme
had a theme coming up for doors.
Thank you Donna for listing the upcoming themes,
it's so very helpful to me!
(Located at Snakedance Condos in Toas Ski Valley, NM)

These shots were all taken before I read Donna's post
and her always helpful links.
(Located at Snakedance Condos in Toas Ski Valley, NM)

I would like to think if I had done my  homework, I would have 
taken better photos...so for this month's challenge, it is what it is
and a post of this subject to review when needed.
***
Tips for next time I find an interesting door and/or window:

1)  A composition may include many elements or use a simplistic approach that excludes extraneous items that detract from the window or door subject. 

2)  Ideas for subject matter include emphasis on shapes, textures, contrasting colors, isolated details, reflections, light and shadows, symmetry, patterns, and compositional framing.

3)  As with most photographs, early morning and late afternoon is the best time to shoot doors and windows, not only due to the warmth of the light but also because porches, awnings, doorways, are out of the light path and no shadows are present. Side lighting is also interesting it will enhance the texture of the door or the window as well as its details.

4)  First thing is to remember your first impression, think about it and review it. What was it that caught your attention? The color of the door or window, the overall scene, the wall surrounding it, to door or window itself, the doorknob, the texture, or the window drapes. What ever it was, make sure you capture that detail, without it the image might lose its magic.

5)  If what caught your attention was the texture, rusting, peeling paint, the carvings, then move in closer and consider using a macro lens, you really want to capture as much detail as possible. Side lighting can accentuate those details, use the shadows to add depth to the texture, capture an image in two dimensions.
***
While in Santa Fe I ran across an artist who prints
photos of doors and windows on aluminum...eye catching!
Her name is Dona Calles,
her blog here
and a gallery of her awesome doors here.
She even prints your photos on aluminum.
***
My gear, if not otherwise stated ~ 
camera is a Canon EOS 60D set on AF
a EOS 18-135 mm lens or
my Vivatar Series 1 Zoom 28-300 mm lens
and I use Adobe Elements 11 for processing.
***
If you are interested in joining "A Personal Photo Challenge", 
a link to Donna's blog is at the beginning of this post. 
Thank you Donna for hosting this great challenge!
A Personal Photo Challenge
I hope you will join us for these monthly challenges,
you're invited to hop over to the other participant's
blogs to see more photos.
Comments are always welcome! 
***
Wishing and hoping for good news regarding Donna's husband!
Lets keep them in our prayers...
Happy Click'n!

8 comments:

  1. all three are really beautiful, the first one I really really like a lot... the photo and the building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such interesting doors! I'm particularly drawn to the middle one, but am in awe of an 800 year old adobe house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Millie - great pics and glad you joined the challenge. Thanks also for your useful tips.
    Love the third pic door - with those huge hinges.
    Although I don't really like animal parts used in home decor - inside rooms - I think the handle makes sense here, hopefully it was harvested kindly.

    Hope you come back next month - meanwhile I'm looking through Dona Calles' absolutely amazing doors - and loving them!

    Happy week - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really interesting doors. And the 800 year old adobe? I had no idea that there was something this old in the US. Thanks for visiting my blog. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think an arched door is so much more interesting than a rectangle. An 800 year old building, that is fascinating, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toas, New Mexico - now there is a magical place! I immediately recognized the first building. I know I have a few photos of it in my archives, including the window to the right! These are lovely examples of the beautiful architecture that is prevalent in that region. You captured some beautiful textures and I like the angled compositions to give a sense of scale. Wonderful job!

    And thank you for your comprehensive summary of tips. You have provided such a service before, and it is most gracious of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that you popped by so that I could check back. That way, I found your post on doors and the discussion Plus the interesting discussion on abstracts...all new to me...must investigate. Thanks! Oh, I think you do your homework very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fabulous photos! I love that part of the country and hope we can visit there again soon. I had hoped this Fall....but looks like we will have to wait. There's so much beautiful architecture there and you did a great job with the challenge! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!

Thank you for your understanding!

© Emily J Powell and Millie @ Click'n Camera, February 10, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Emily J Powell and Millie @Click'n Camera with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Photos may not be used, copied, printed without prior permission.