Friday, November 8, 2013

A Personal Photo Challenge ~ Layering Textures!

This month's challenge  ~ "Layering Textures" ~
is the subject for "A Personal Photo Challenge" (here).
When I first read about applying layering textures,
I wasn't too happy about trying something new...
computers have NOT been my friends lately!
But thanks to Donna, the host at APPC,
I got great encouragement and my attitude changed.
***
Not far from Greer, SC, we visited this covered bridge.
I love covered bridges!
I used this photo in my first attempt at layering textures.
Before...
After...
(To achieve this aged look,
I first changed my photo to B&W, next I used the free texture layer from
 Kim Klassen called "paper stained".)

This photo was taken in the garden at the 
Biltmore Estates in Asheville, NC., here.
Before...
After...
(Now my photo is like looking out a window and it's storming out...
With this one I had some fun.  I found a "rain" layer free on Flickr - here -
and used it in Elements to give this effect.)
We left shortly after I took this shot, right before the skies
 opened up for the much needed rain.

After reading more about Layering Textures, I decided to try this
 technique with one of my macro shots...
Before...
 After...
(Look close, notice the writing? 
For this one I used a free Texture Layer from Flickr
that was of writing on brown paper, same link as above.)
 I was having great fun, and tried reversing these photos ...
(Somehow I managed to create a layer, the flower photo
I was using before as the background is now the layer, 
and I used the writing layer as my background.
I flip-flopped them! Ha!)
***
My gear, if not otherwise stated ~ 
camera is a Canon EOS 60D set on AF,
a Vivatar Series I 28-300mm lens (first two photos),
Canon Macro  lens  EF 100mm 1:2.8 L IS USM,
and I use Adobe Elements 11 for processing.
***
If you are interested in joining "A Personal Photo Challenge", 
a link to Donna's blog is at the beginning of this post. 
Thank you Donna for hosting this great challenge!
A Personal Photo Challenge
I hope you will join us for these monthly challenges,
you're invited to hop over to the other participant's
blogs to see more photos.
Comments are always welcome! 
***
Layering Texture Tips I want To Remember:
1)  For inspiration and to see what is possible, check this out, here.
2)  For a free tutorial see Kim Klassen's Textures in Ten, here
A great place to begin!   Ms Klassen
also offers free textures, occasionally, through her email newsletter. 
3)  Flickr also has free texture layers here.
4)  Read this great article from Digital Photography School, here,
on Texturing Photographs...the following tips came from there:
a)  Thinking about what you want your final image to look like, 
before you consider which textures to use, 
will help you narrow down viable candidates.
b)  Texturing is not a way to fix photographs with problems. 
But it can transform them into something fun and interesting!
***
Try not to have a closed mind like I had,
explore and have fun adding texture layers to your photos!
Happy Click'n!

15 comments:

  1. Your photos are awesome and I love the textures, especially the ones that appear vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job with your challenge of working with textures....It's lots of fun and the possibilities are endless....Thanks for the tips....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Wow Wow! The one from the Biltmore garden is fabulous. They are all really good. The scripted flower is lovely as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bridge now looks old timey! Love that! The macro is lovely....
    Well Done!
    Thank You for all the helpful links...I'll be reading all day now!Hahaa
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you, venturing out from your shell and trying out this technique! Not only did you have fun, you created some really terrific images! And I always adore your challenge summaries because they help others immensely.

    You aced this challenge with your creativity. The covered bridge got a needed rustic, grungy transformation that takes us back to when the structure was built. The raindrops applied on the Biltmore garden scene was a nice twist, taking the viewer from outside to immediately inside. I was hoping that someone would use a raindrops texture like this! And the flower photo transformation is especially lovely. Flipping the layers was a stroke of good fortune. You demonstrated how you can completely change the visual emphasis with the same two image layers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them all! They all take on an entirely different feel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent!! The Biltmore photo stood out. It a great example of what to do with a texture. Thanks for all the tips and resources too. That is appricieated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the resources. I like what you did especially with the Bitlmore. It's like the skies are threatening and in the
    second photo the storm has arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow- all your photos look so great! I cannot choose a favourite although I'm partial to the last one... Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am gonna try that one with the writing. Good job. Love the Biltmore garden and you did it up good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the textures you played with and like how the yellow flower was transformed. Thanks for sharing your tips at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful! And I've been to the Biltmore many times and never get tired of seeing the grounds! I've never used the rain effect...how neat! I have wanted the writing in the background but didn't realize how many you could get free. I can't wait to get a little collection going! Thanks! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh I love the transformation you did with the flower. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both your before and after photos are great. I love the aged look you achieved with the covered bridge and the garden. They really look like photos from the past. The yellow flower with the text layer is beautifully done as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I would love to see some of those covered bridges - reminiscent of The Bridges of Madison County!
    You have edited your shots beautifully - the 2 changes to the yellow flower are both gorgeous.
    Text always works so well with flowers - especially hand written text.
    Millie I've copied your Layering Texture tips - I'm keeping a folder of them too so I can refer back for next time!

    Shane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!

Thank you for your understanding!

© Emily J Powell and Millie @ Click'n Camera, February 10, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Emily J Powell and Millie @Click'n Camera with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Photos may not be used, copied, printed without prior permission.