Friday, December 13, 2013

A Personal Photo Challenge ~ Let There Be Light!

This month's challenge  ~ "Let There Be Light " ~
is the subject for "A Personal Photo Challenge" (here).
Our assignment:   "In this exercise, light takes center stage and commands your attention. It can be dramatic or softly caressing. It can be natural light or it can be man-made: backlight, sidelight, spotlight, candlelight, light beams streaming from clouds, twinkling lights, lamp light, street light, reflected light. There are so many possibilities, and you have the freedom to decide. But light should play a key role to support your subject or actually be your subject."
***
Managing time for this challenge was tricky!
But I'm sure most everyone is busy this time of year...
...with a macro slant to this challenge, I finally got working.
My first shot is a shadow on the wall ~


This lacy pattern was created by pointing a flashlight
through one of our snowflake mantel hooks (on which
we hang our Christmas stockings) on to a wall.
The above shot shows the result of having light, shadows.
The next shot~

Is a closeup of the snowflake mantel hook,
again the light shining through to the wall 

the light is enhancing the subject.
*
I'm not sure I completed this challenge as instructed but
I learned a lot about the importance of light in photography!
*
Oh wait, one more, this one shows the reflection of light...
Once again a fun challenge!
***
My gear, if not otherwise stated ~ 
camera is a Canon EOS 60D set on AF,
 Canon Macro  lens  EF 100mm 1:2.8 L,
and I use Adobe Elements 11 for processing.
***
If you are interested in joining "A Personal Photo Challenge", 
a link to Donna's blog is at the beginning of this post. 
Thank you Donna for hosting this great challenge!
A Personal Photo Challenge
I hope you will join us for these monthly challenges,
you're invited to hop over to the other participant's
blogs to see more photos.
Comments are always welcome! 
***
"Let There Be Light" Tips I want To Remember:
1)  Think about the quality of your light. If the light source is intense, there will be distinct shadows that provide contrast. Be careful and don’t let the light source fool your camera meter. Use exposure compensation to get the image you want. Think about the direction of light in relationship to the camera and the subject. Change the locations of the light source, subject, and/or camera, and the image can be drastically altered. Think about the color of light. Is it warm, cool, or balanced? Control the light temperature in your final image by using your camera’s white balance settings to match the lighting conditions. Make further adjustments, as needed, in post-processing.
2)  Other sources for ways to use light that Donna shared with us:
*Love this quote*
"Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it.
 Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, 
and you will know the key to photography".  George Eastman
***
Now to see the other participants photos...
Merry Christmas to you all!
Happy Click'n!

14 comments:

  1. I always look forward to your challenge posts because you always provide a wonderful synopsis of the assignment and you really take the challenges to heart! And I am glad that you love that quote too. And yes, you completed the challenge as instructed because you learned! That is the most important thing in these exercises.

    You provided a classic example of how to take one subject and can represent it in several ways, all by paying attention to how light is striking the subject. Bravo! That important lesson should stick with you from here on out, and your brain will automatically start thinking about the direction of the light on a subject and how you can create different interpretations by changing light directions (which usually involves something as simple as moving your feet).

    I love what you did in all of these photos - reflection, backlighting, and contrast lighting to create a shadow. I think the second one is my favorite because of the gentle out-of-focus backlighting. That's a tricky shot and well executed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are all great i love to play with light, these are really beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Millie
    It's hard to know what to put together for the challenge, isn't it? Light, shadows and reflections can go hand in hand and I like your photos using the snowflake stocking hanger to show each.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love shadows and reflections...it adds so much to a photo! Thanks for the info. I'm learning more every month! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting. I'm glad that you explained each one. I really like the second...for whatever reason...the crispness...the clarity. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the light and shadow of this snowflake and the different ways you showed it. The second photo is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely. I'm especially drawn to the second one with the stark contrast between the hard snowflake and the soft lighting in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting take on the challenge..
    and great photos to illustrate..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun!! I love the way you handled this challenge! And thank you for all your tips as well!
    Well Done!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice shots. George Eastman's quote makes me realize how his company came to power in the photography business!
    Glad you share these lovely pics of light - perfect for the Christmas season.

    Happy weekend - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I learned something here. I love these shots and it is always good to review the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely combo of photos. I really like the second one too. Great exercise in the use of light!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great take on this month's challenge. love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos are so cool Millie - the play of light is beautiful!
    It is such a busy time for everyone isn't it - only six more sleeps!!!!
    Sorry I'm so late visiting but I've been working for 2 weeks!
    Hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!