Friday, August 8, 2014

Personal Photo Challenge ~ Animals

This month's challenge  ~ "Animals" ~
is the subject for "A Personal Photo Challenge" (here).
 I haven't been blogging much this summer but I peeked in on my favorite group today,
 "A Personal Photo Challenge", and didn't want to pass up the opportunity to share a couple of my photos from our recent camping trip
(our cats go with us).
***
This shot was taken in Colorado
during a lunch stop.
If Bogey wasn't such a freak,
he would be wearing his harness picnicking with us!
The following two photos came from my archives
(napping kitties are so precious).
Katie is our camera shy cat.
She loves napping on the center console
and didn't notice I had my iPhone handy.
Oh, wait, she is ON my cell...that sneaky girl!
Did I mention she hates having her photo taken?
I remember now, I took this with my hubby's cell,
I showed her...
Once again I got lucky and whipped out my
cell to take her photo.
They love to sleep on papers, magazines and books, why?
Dang I missed last month's "Portrait" Challenge
I really need to brush up on this topic too (here)
now that we have FOUR grand-kids!
***
My gear, if not otherwise stated ~ 
camera is a Canon EOS 60D set on AF,
 Canon lens EFS 18-135mmm,
and I use Adobe Elements 11 for processing.
***
If you are interested in joining "A Personal Photo Challenge", 
a link to Donna's blog is at the beginning of this post. 
Thank you Donna for hosting this great challenge!
A Personal Photo Challenge
You're invited to hop over to the other participant's
blogs to see more photos.
Comments are always welcome! 
***
 I will use these tips 
next time our family visits a zoo, 
a common activity for this family!
1)  Animals begin taking on their day shortly after sunrise and it typically extends to late morning. This is their prime time for interacting with other animals, feeding, singing and moving about. This is your prime time for capturing animal attitude in action.
2)  Camera settings ~ For small animals, using f-stops in the f/7.1 (and sometimes higher based on lighting) to f/9 optimizes the tiny details. For larger animals, depending on their size and the amount of desired detail, shifting to an f/11 to f/12 may be needed. Knowing the sweet spot of the lens happens with practicing in the field.  
3)  Be Patient:  Give the animal some time to get used to you being around and to relax. 
4)  By shooting in Av you can set wide apertures to blur distracting backgrounds and make the animals really stand out in your shots. Your camera can then take care of the shutter speed, which will change dramatically if the sun keeps going in and out.  Don’t be afraid to put your ISO up to around 400 or 800 to get faster shutter speeds for sharper, more dramatic wildlife shots. It barely matters because, even at that high level of ISO, you’ll still have minimal graininess thanks to Canon’s brilliant digital sensor technology.  
***
Can't wait to see everyone's posts.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Happy Click'n!

24 comments:

  1. What a sweet photo of you both with the grandkids! And I love that very fist photo....such fun! Oh course kitties already know how beautiful they are! Enjoy your day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that we are thinking alike this time. What a precious kitty...makes me want to scratch under her chin the way my cat loves to be petted. Sweet group of grands, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures - they really show the personalities of your cats. I sure wish mine would cooperate like that. And I sure can't imagine taking them on any trips with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that first shot. reflections of reflections and hard to tell which is real.. great shot... ha ha on the harness. i have to get shots of our dogs when they are not looking. they both hate the camera and when i aim it they leave or turn their heads...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun photos of your cats...and love the photo of your grand with the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I Love the sweet kitty shots especially the first one with the added reflection!
    Cool Shots!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coming over to see your photos from the challenge. Your kitty is adorable! I love the first one with your photo in the background. I am just beginning to play with and understand my new camera. Cats are great subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cat always comes to sit on paper as well. And clean laundry, lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, I'm sorry that you missed posting that portrait photo last month, but I'm glad you did it this time! It's a beauty. Love your kitty photos, and DH and I laughed out loud when we saw the 50 shades of meow photo. And thank you for the additional tips. I always shoot in aperture priority mode for animals because I really want to control depth of field!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great kitty photos! Bogey is very photogenic! Love that first reflection shot. My kitty just saw the Fifty Shades of Meow and now he wants his own copy... Beautiful family photo at the end.. Congrats on the newest grand!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute photos of your cats. Our first pet was an adorable kitty. Love the one with the grandkids too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great captures of your cute cat, loved the dialogue running through the post, too. Chatty bloggers are my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Calling by from the APPC today, what fun to be able to take your cats on holiday with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. precious cats and sweet family photo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the family pic - such beautiful grandchildren. Do they enjoy your lovely kitties too?

    The cats have such gorgeous coats - I love to see shiny fur, especially on handsome black and white ones.
    Thanks for the photography tips - always useful.

    Happy weekend - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just precious!! I love that little black and white kitty! Great shots! My kitty likes to ride in the car too, just as long as she is not confined to a carrier and I don't go faster that 10 MPH. I drive her around the subdivision so she can look out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice shots! So true that they like to sleep on books!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos of your beautiful Bogey! Thanks for the great tips too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great shots. Our animals are great subjects. I think cats are much easier than dogs. I shared shots of my dog!
    Beautiful family shot. I enjoyed meeting and visiting. I'll follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. All your photo are adorable, but I have to say my favorite is the one with those cute grandkids.
    Best, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great photos...Dogs AND cats are so much fun to photograph! My daughter has two cats, and they ALWAYS want to sleep on the book she is reading or any magazine on the floor....so funny! Love the family shot...better get busy taking pics, those grandkids will grow fast! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet kitty photos. Your pets look well-loved.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Doces gatinhos e linda família! Parabéns!
    Um abraço!
    Sweet kittens and beautiful family! Congratulations!
    Hugs!
    Egléa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!