Sunday, March 15, 2015

Flickr's Macro Mondays ~ Happy Anniversary!

If you can't resist taking Macro Photos,
join Flickr Macro Mondays.  They're now
celebrating their Eighth Year Anniversary (here).
This group is open to the beginner and professional, and
the themes have stretched my creativity and 
I've learned so much participating.
I've enjoyed being in this group since October 2012.
My Flickr macro photo collection can be viewed here.
To shoot these macros
 I used a mini light table under thinly sliced lemons,
which allows the light to shine through the segments.
 ***
And I'm sharing one these macro photos with my 
other favorite Macro groups:
 "Macro Monday 2" a Monday photo gallery (here),
and a Sunday photo gallery called "i heart macro" (here).
 ***
Happy Eighth Anniversary to Flickr's Macro Mondays!
 ***
Happy Click'n!
***   My Macro Reference Notes   ***
For more info here on macro photography.

Top tips for shooting macro photos:

Your lens will be at its best for close-ups usually between f/8 and f/11.  By using Aperture Priority, you can ensure your lens stays there.


Up close, any camera movement during exposure is magnified, so you need a fast shutter speed, such as 1/125 or faster. If you aren't getting this setting consider using the Manual setting. 


To get faster shutter speed when you are shooting aperture priority, choose a higher ISO setting (at least 200) for your camera.


Most Canon DSLRs have Mirror Lock-up on the shooting menu or as a custom function. Use this in conjunction with a two-second self-timer delay, or with a remote controller to further control movement.

Use a ring flash to give a nice, even lighting effect for close-ups, without any unwanted shadows. 

And don't forget your tripod, it's a must for macros!

Fun project to try - Using a plastic cup helps prevent subject movement, camera shake, and harsh shadows (here).
***   The End   ***

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic pictures. Looms like an interesting challenge for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos Millie… I appreciate all of your great advice for macro photography too… I am such an amateur it is always good to learn from people who have more experience! Thanks for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really clever, I might have to give this a go myself

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!

Thank you for your understanding!

© Emily J Powell and Millie @ Click'n Camera, February 10, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Emily J Powell and Millie @Click'n Camera with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Photos may not be used, copied, printed without prior permission.