Thursday, April 16, 2015

Sharp Focus? Try Photo Stacking

I've been envious of some of the macro photos I've seen and
wondered why I couldn't quite get my shots super sharp like them.
"Photo Stacking" is the answer. 
I used CombineZM software (free) 
but first, I took a few shots
focusing progressively from front to mid-point,
photos follow~
 First shot...
Second... 
Third...
Then I processed these photos in CombineZM;
 this is my first attempt to focus stack and I was impressed with the results.
To download CombineZM software (here)
 and a tutorial (here).
It's very simple, and worth a try if you're after a sharper image.
There are more advanced ways to stack photos, but
I wanted an easier way to do this process, for now, anyway.
My best tip would be to overlap the focus areas so there are
no fuzzy areas scattered through your nice sharp focus.
If you don't overlap your stacked photo (caraway seeds)
will end up like this one (above).
And secondly, save the cropping to after processing the photos 
because you might have blurry edges to remove.
Have fun and play with this software!
***
Happy Click'n!

3 comments:

  1. i love the stacked photo, really made a big difference. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I taught myself photo stacking in Photoshop a couple of years ago (or maybe it was last year?) and the subject was a daffodil bloom. Gosh it worked great. The trick is to manually focus (which I do anyway for all macro shots) and take as many as you need to combine. It's good to know that there is a free program out there for this automated technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought that it was this simple after all. I had spent aL'Reve 24k beneficial deal of my time looking for someone to explain this topic clearly and you're the only one that ever did that.
    http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/lreve-24k/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!

Thank you for your understanding!

© Emily J Powell and Millie @ Click'n Camera, February 10, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Emily J Powell and Millie @Click'n Camera with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Photos may not be used, copied, printed without prior permission.