Sunday, June 7, 2015

Macro Monday ~ Mostly White


This week's Flickr Macro Mondays theme is "Mostly White" ~
"This doesn't mean you have to shoot in or convert to B&W,
though B&W photos are acceptable.
I would much prefer seeing your "mostly White" images in COLOR." 

J Towbin also gave us a link explaining white balance, here.
Shells on white paper.
(f2.8 -  1/160  -  ISO 100
Indoors natural light with flash)

This was a tricky challenge for me. The rest of this post is how 
I experimented to get the end result (above).
The following was taken in morning shade,
with my white balance set on auto.
This shot is too blue, it looks like a blue film is over the photo.
(f5 -  1/320  -  ISO 100)
The next one was taken indoors under artificial light (lamp),
again the white balance set on auto.
This time my shot was more golden hued.
(f5 -  1/500 - ISO 100  )
I took a break and did some research...
That afternoon I set my subject and camera in the
shade using natural light and used white balance set on cloudy (? oops).
(f2.8 -  1/200  - ISO 250)
Finally I corrected the white balance to shade and added a flash
to capture my last photo.
(f2.8   -  1/160  -  ISO 100)
I hope my steps in learning to shoot white on white
makes it easier for anyone wanting to try this technique.

(My subject was a slide rule which belonged to my Dad.
Growing up I was always fascinated by it's calculating magic.
Dad's initials are etched on both ends. He was an Electrical Engineer.)
***
The following are starting points for your camera settings:
Aperture Setting-  1/160 to 1/200

ISO -  Use the lowest setting (100) to avoid noise/graininess

Shutter Speed -  Start by using optimal aperture for your lens, usually F8 or F11. The higher the F number the more of your subject will be in focus.

Shooting mode set to self timer to minimize camera shake and use a tripod, if possible.

Equipment used Canon EOS 60D camera and
 my lens is EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM.
Great articles about this technique are
  here (Digital Photo Secrets) and here (Pixelz).
***
Like a challenge?
Join Macro Mondays on Flicker, here.
***
Also shared with these Macro groups:
 "Macro Monday 2" a Monday photo gallery (here),
and a Sunday photo gallery called "i heart macro" (here).
***
"White... is not a mere absence of colour; it is a shining and affirmative thing,
 as fierce as red, as definite as black... God paints in many colours; 
but He never paints so gorgeously, I had almost said so gaudily, 
as when He paints in white."   Gilbert K. Chesterton
***
Happy Click'n!

7 comments:

  1. Stopping by from I Heart Macro. Those are the coolest shells. I've never seen any like those before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty shells and thanks for the tips on shooting white on white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shells are really pretty! I love the white on white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the end result of shells.. beautiful.. and great info to. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sea shells!
    I'm old enough to remember slide rules - there's one still around here somewhere!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed the shells on paper! Thanks for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!

Thank you for your understanding!

© Emily J Powell and Millie @ Click'n Camera, February 10, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Emily J Powell and Millie @Click'n Camera with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Photos may not be used, copied, printed without prior permission.