Saturday, July 11, 2015

Frozen Flowers the Devlin Way!

Mo Devlin's frozen flower photos are fascinating and gorgeous. 
They have been compared to watercolor paintings (interview and photos here).  
 Another gallery of Devlin's work is here.

I decided to give it a try myself...
 My first attempt to try this technique didn't go well, 
my flowers floated to the top, but I did take a few photos.
The frost was too irresistible.
How to make frozen flowers yourself can be found here, basically instructions are: To position the flower, add the ice in layers. First, create a thin layer, without the flower, in a small tray. Once that’s frozen, add the flower and splash on a little water to make it stick, then top up with more water. Repeat until the flowers are totally encased.
For my second attempt, 
I again used flowers from my bouquet but this time 
I picked ones that were starting to wilt.
This way I wouldn't waste any more of the fresher flowers.
(I used a light table under the block of ice for the last three photos.)
Devlin's work is breathtaking and worth your time to experiment!
I plan to try this process again.
***
I'm sharing one of my photos with these Memes ~
Pink Saturday, hosted by How Sweet the Sound (here).
Today's Flowers hosted by Flowers from Today (here).
***
“Life is like a camera. Just focus on what’s important 
and capture the good times, develop from the negatives 
and if things don’t work out, just take another shot.” — Unknown
***
Happy Click'n!

12 comments:

  1. i have never seen this done before, these are amazing and i will go over and check him out. will save this post for future. i don't have room in my freezer for a plate to sit, will have to see what i can do with a small bowl. the odd thing is i love the one second one best, the one they are partially frozen.. beautiful post and thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out about Devlin by accident earlier this week. About the plate, I used a freezer safe plastic container, medium size. You might try a small size that fits your freezer. Something flat might work best.

      Delete
  2. you may get some visits, i am posting your post on how to on Facebook and also posted both his sites, that way i have it for the future. his photos are just stunning, i would love to have one on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra for the heads up, I'm always pleased to get traffic on my blog! His work is amazing! I need to try this again soon, enjoy your day!

      Delete
  3. pretty neat. i'll go visit his site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by my basement corner studio, nothing compared to most of the gals but it is my happy place for creating. :-) I'm sure yours makes you happy too, maybe you'll share it next year?
    I'm going to share your post with a photography friend who will likely be interested in this method.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are gorgeous. I guess it would be best to use colorful flowers. I would love to try this! Enjoy your weekend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well well well, beauty frozen petals. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful colors, exquisite compositions, I love your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cool! I have been meaning to try this and you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments!

Thank you for your understanding!

© Emily J Powell and Millie @ Click'n Camera, February 10, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Emily J Powell and Millie @Click'n Camera with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Photos may not be used, copied, printed without prior permission.